Self signed certificate API

Can we use PKCS12 self signed certificate or does it has to be .pem format only?Also, if we have to call a Https rest endpoint then we just need to add a Authenticated Datasource and all option of self signed certificate with certificate uploaded?

Hi there :wave:t3:
I do not understand the second part of your question. Could you help me better understand?

I have just mentioned steps to call self signed https endpoint from Appsmith. Just wanted to confirm is my understanding correct

Thank you for the clarification.
Please give me time to make inquiries internally with our engineering team. I’ll give you a response as soon as I have any helpful information.

Hi there!

For the first question, yes, it has to be in PEM format only, as mentioned in SSL & Custom Domain | Appsmith.
For the second, yes, that should be it

hi,
I had just followed steps mentioned in this link Self Signed Certificates | Appsmith
But still not able to call my https endpoint as it’s giving error as unable to find certificate path location

What version of Appsmith are you on?

Please send us the server logs to help us investigate the issue. You can grab the logs by running docker logs -f appsmith.
Or you could follow the steps from this guide on how to get the logs

where does self signed certificate uploaded in Authenticated API Datasource be found on Appsmith server?

Appsmith version 1.9.12
[2023-03-20 11:08:30,829] userEmail=test@test.com, sessionId=9aaba875-7bf2-405e-adfc-4f2861a64069, thread=reactor-http-epoll-3, requestId=0e42e20e-a548-4784-a178-15b2a5a121ec - [67f2cf60, L:/.
3] The connection observed an error
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Alert.java:131)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:371)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:314)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:309)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1357)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.onConsumeCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:1232)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:1175)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(SSLHandshake.java:396)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:480)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask$DelegatedAction.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1277)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask$DelegatedAction.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1264)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:712)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl$DelegatedTask.run(SSLEngineImpl.java:1209)
at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.runDelegatedTasks(SslHandler.java:1549)
at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.unwrap(SslHandler.java:1395)
at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decodeJdkCompatible(SslHandler.java:1236)
at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.decode(SslHandler.java:1285)
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.decodeRemovalReentryProtection(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:529)
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:468)
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:290)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:444)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:420)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:412)
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1410)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:440)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:420)
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:919)
at io.netty.channel.epoll.AbstractEpollStreamChannel$EpollStreamUnsafe.epollInReady(AbstractEpollStreamChannel.java:800)
at io.netty.channel.epoll.EpollEventLoop.processReady(EpollEventLoop.java:499)
at io.netty.channel.epoll.EpollEventLoop.run(EpollEventLoop.java:397)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$4.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:997)
at io.netty.util.internal.ThreadExecutorMap$2.run(ThreadExecutorMap.java:74)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocalRunnable.run(FastThreadLocalRunnable.java:30)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:439)
at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:306)
at java.base/sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:264)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:285)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:144)
at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1335)
… 29 common frames omitted
Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at java.base/sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.build(SunCertPathBuilder.java:141)
at java.base/sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.engineBuild(SunCertPathBuilder.java:126)
at java.base/java.security.cert.CertPathBuilder.build(CertPathBuilder.java:297)
at java.base/sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:434)
… 34 common frames omitted

Hey @gauravs23,

Thank you for sharing the logs with us. The team will take a look and get back to you.

This seems to be a bug on our end. I have opened a bug report on GitHub, and we will work to fix this as soon as possible.

You can track the progress on this link:

1 Like