MySQL server reached max user connections quickly

Hi,

I am working with in App with Appsmith connected to a MySQL server. When I am running my app and perform a single query, I see that 5-10 sessions are opened in my server (due to connection pooling). The issue is that these sessions rest in sleep mode so when I perform new queries, appsmith keeps opening more sessions and I quickly max up the max user capacity of my server (currently set at 100 max user connections). When my server is maxed up and I keep using my app, some of my queries start giving errors (queries could not be executed). I have tried to increase this maximum but my server provider says he can’t do it (mentioning the 100 is already quite a lot). I am wondering if there is any workaround that - thanks!!

Just to clarify, as soon as I run my 2nd query, the number of sessions or connections opened with my sql database jump to 15…

Hi there!
I’ve registered this issue with our engineers and I’ll relay to you as soon as I get a response

Could you check mysql.conf and see what is the value of wait_timeout and interactive_timeout . Let us know what are the values, for the meantime you can try decreasing the value to 300 (5 minutes). This will require a db restart.

Thanks - I can’t change these as global variables (only session) since my db is shared with other users. Is there a way I can work around it? If I set the session variables to 300, it only affects 1 of the multiple sessions that are opened by appsmith using connection pool

Thanks!

Hello, could you please tell me what version of Appsmith you are using and if it is self-hosted or cloud?

Hi,

I am using Cloud
Version is V1.9.6

Thanks!

Hello, you could try adding this to the end of your MySQL queries, it could solve your problems, additionally it is recommended that you try to increase the max_connections of MySQL

SELECT concat('KILL ',id,';') as query FROM information_schema.processlist WHERE Command = 'Sleep';

I’m also have the same issue, it always takes up all the connections when I connect to my database. Can you guys add an option to limit the pool size?

Hello,

You can currently solve this problem by following these steps:

1. Log in to your database as an administrator.
  2. Execute this query to view the current allowed number of connections.

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'max_connections';"

1. Execute this command to increase the max_connections value.

SET GLOBAL max_connections=[valor];

Additionally, your idea is great, and we have opened a feature request for it. You can track the progress of the feature request at the following link: [Feature]: Option to limit connection pool size in MySQL database · Issue #22525 · appsmithorg/appsmith · GitHub

I have the same issue as the above user where I am using a hosted service and don’t have administrative access. So having a configurable pool connection through appsmith would be great. Thanks!

I understand. I have opened a feature request for this. You can try using the workaround I provided to the previous user to mitigate your problem. The team will implement this feature soon. If you have any further questions, I’m happy to help.