Ideas for leaving markers on Image widget as if it were the Map widget?

I am building an app for tracking things on trail maps. I would like the user to be able to pull up a trail and then click a spot on the trail map to leave a marker for future reference. I would need to save the coordinates of the marker in a database and have the trail map load in the future displaying all of the markers.

I know this sounds a lot like current functionality of the Map widget, but I would be looking for the same ability with the Image widget instead. These trail maps are images and they do not show up on Google Maps.

Any ideas?

Hello! This is not possible at this juncture. Although could you please help us file a feature request using the following link?- Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

Please include your use case and how it will be helpful for you.

Hi @Amelia , happy to file a feature request, but do think this is useful other than my somewhat specific use case? Having a hard time thinking of other relevant use cases. My sense is that this may be achievable via iframes, and if so, iframes would be more appropriate than a widget since they would provide more flexibility for potentially esoteric requirements.

I’m currently working on this - maybe I use this thread as starting point to show a possible iframe solution and then we build the feature request if it seems useful after?

Yes, it might be possible to use an iFrame as a workaround. It would be very helpful for our community if you can share your solution here on this forum post.
On the other hand, please also consider creating a feature request, just in case there are other users that might be interested in this feature too and would like to upvote it.

There are lots of other use cases! I think this is worth submitting a feature request. AppSheet has a similar feature which is often used to upload an image of a building floor plan, then add markers for things like inspections, logging meter readings or events, etc. Or it can be used with an arial photo to mark work locations at a job site.

As a workaround, you might be able to use a Fusion chart with a background image, and plot existing points on top of the image. I don’t think there would be any way for the user to add a new point by clicking on it though. You’d have to use number inputs to enter the coordinates and add that point to the chart’s dataset.

I can think of several cases where I could use this, similar to what @GreenFlux suggested.

Please submit a feature request for this.

OK, glad to see the interest. Here is feature request - please add your comments.

1 Like