Appsmith 1.9.x on Ubuntu 22.04

After a lot of tries i give up to update my self-hosted appsmith from 1.8.15 to 1.9.x. Also a fresh installation with ubuntu 22.04 (server - minimal installation) was not successfull with 1.9.x. The struggle is always with the mongodb. Appsmith hangs in a booting-loop for both methods (update&fresh installation)

I listen the knowledge item with update from 1.8.15 to 1.9.2 first, but with no success. then i access into the docker container and update mongodb to 5.4, but the booting-loop still persist.

The OS was ubuntu 22.04 lts server with minimal setup and the latest updates.

Here the last error log from the fresh installation:

• mongod --fork --port 27017 --dbpath /appsmith-stacks/data/mongodb --logpath /appsmith-stacks/data/mongodb/log
    /opt/appsmith/entrypoint.sh: line 136: 15 Illegal instruction (core dumped) mongod --fork --port 27017 --dbpath “$MONGO_DB_PATH” --logpath “$MONGO_LOG_PATH”

when i downgrade back to a 1.8.x version, appsmith is running fine.

This is the error message with the updated version:
backend stdout | [2023-02-08 18:00:19,281] - Exception encountered during context initialization - cancelling refresh attempt: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name ‘mongockInitializingBeanRunner’ defined in class path resource [com/appsmith/server/configurations/MongoConfig.class]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is com.github.cloudyrock.mongock.exception.MongockException: com.mongodb.MongoTimeoutException: Timed out after 30000 ms while waiting to connect. Client view of cluster state is {type=UNKNOWN, servers=[{address=localhost:27017, type=UNKNOWN, state=CONNECTING, exception={com.mongodb.MongoSocketOpenException: Exception opening socket}, caused by {io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection refused: localhost/127.0.0.1:27017}, caused by {java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused}}]

Hey! In the latest versions of Appsmith we have upgraded to Mongo 5. Please check that your cpu meets the requirements here.

Hey Laguna

I’ve checked my cpu and its a “E5-2697V3”. so i should meet the requirements for Mongo 5.

Should the mongo version automatic updated to version 5 with update appsmith or should i do this manually like described in this website https://www.mongodb.com/docs/manual/release-notes/5.0-upgrade-standalone/?

Hello! If you are using an external/custom MongoDB, then you’ll have to update it manually. Otherwise, it happens automatically.

Hey Amelia

Ok, thank you. The mongodb in my setup was inside the container, delivered with the deployment from docker-compose.

After i went back to 1.8.15, i upgrade direkt to 1.9.2 with this config line in my docker-compose.yml
image: index.docker.io/appsmith/appsmith-ce:v1.9.2

And then run the upgrade with:

docker-compose pull && docker-compose rm -fsv appsmith && docker-compose up -d

And here i will post the output from the upgrade process:
https://zhaw-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/mulo_zhaw_ch/EWBsOBgwWnBFpVKbZQwZwHYBWYlOQRXg9W_jjm-xi5NUXQ?e=D36cTW

Hey @mulo, it seems that your CPU is not supported to work with mongo v5, hence for now you’ll have to work on v1.8.15. You can verify this from this doc - https://www.mongodb.com/docs/manual/administration/production-notes/#platform-support-notes

To get around this issue, you’ll have to use external mongo DB. Custom MongoDB & Redis | Appsmith

Then you can upgrade from v1.8.15 → v1.9.2 → latest

Good idea, i will try this :+1:

I was able to fix the issue with updating to 1.9.x.

The problem was that I am running my esxi witch evc in a lower cpu mode that my actually cpu can running. after I change the evc mode to “sandy bridge”, the upgrade to 1.9.2 is working and after to 1.9.7.

its nessesary that your cpu support avx. on ubuntu, you can check avx with the following command:
grep flags -m1 /proc/cpuinfo | grep avx